Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Berry Plastics

This was a really cool tour. I think in part due to my choosing of my tour guide. I chose to go with the plastic engineer in hopes that he would divulge and be able to answer questions of a more technical manner. Again, I am amazed at production, and in this case the sheer volume of it. In just a matter of minutes, it goes from a tiny pebbled raw material into a useable designed container. Not just one, but thousands and even millions! It's absolutely crazy and at the same time disturbing that we as a society use that much plastic. Sure it provides jobs, but at what cost? I would be willing to wager that not even 50% of the plastic that leaves that place gets recycled.

Oh look! I'm drinking out of a thermoformed cup and there isn't even a recycle bin at this place of origin to throw it out. Just a common trash bin. What is the hold up with instilling a common mentality of taking care of the earth? It seems as there are a select few who really give a rip about what's going on and no matter how hard (we) they try, it won't change the big picture until a broader portion of the population gets involved.

So, Berry Plastics... a company that exists because we are a disposable/on-the-go/wasteful society. The people have the power to change "the machine" it's for each one of us that these cups are made, that the landfills are littered with trash that can be reused and not add to the abysmal landscape of our collective disregard for the volume of trash that we produce!

I just can't seem to get off this topic this post can I?

Alright, so Materials: Plastic, lots and lots and lots of plastic. Ink.

Processes: Injection Molding and Thermoforming

No comments:

Post a Comment